So last weekend I started disassembling the used 1600cc engine I got for my '63 bug. It's the first time I attempt to rebuild an engine. Of course I've watched episode 3 of the Bug Me videos to make sure I know what I'm doing =), it seemed simple enough. I also ordered the book "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen air-Cooled Engine", which I should be getting soon in the mail.
Disassembling the engine was pretty straight forward, It took me about 2 hours to take it apart completely. It seemed like it was in good condition until I opened up the case and found that the crankshaft was broken in three pieces! Now I know why they got rid of this engine. Another odd thing I noticed is that one of the crankshaft bearing pins was a screw and not a pin! Next weekend I will take the case to McNab Foreign Car in Pompano Beach - FL, to get it inspected, hopefully I'll be able to use this case and not have to get a new one.
I haven't decided if I'm going to build this engine back as a 1600cc, or bigger. I'll have to figure out what my budget is for this first-time rebuild project.